That’s where this Getaway Best Value Wines Guide is useful: it cuts through the clutter on the wine shelf, with an experienced team of judges having tasted the wines and rated them. One thing that is common to the almost 250 wines assessed across a variety of classes, is that they are all available on shelf for R80 or less.
The Best Value Wines Guide was first published in 2002 while the statistical model that rates each wine was developed by UCT academic Dr David Priilaid after more than a decade of analysing the results of various wine competitions and tastings. Dr Priilaid’s system uses the data he’s collected to work out each wine’s value, quality and price.
All of the wines entered into the Best Value competition were tasted blind (without sight of the labels). The judges sat in two separate panels of three to assess the wines, which were tasted in specific categories: Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay, white blends, Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Pinotage, Merlot, red blends, rosé, dessert wines and bubblies.
Fifteen top achievers were announced at this year’s awards function held on the 2nd February 2017 in Cape Town as follows:
1. Best Value Producer - Imbuko
2. Best value Chardonnay - Slanghoek Private Selection Chardonnay
3. Best Value Sauvignon Blanc - Ken Forrester Petit Sauvignon Blanc 2016
4. Best Value Chenin Blanc - Wellington Wines Chenin Blanc 2016
5. Best Value White Blend - Aan De Doorns R43 Crisp White 2016
6. Best Value Niche White - Aan De Doorns R43 Fruity White 2016
7. Best Value Cabernet Sauvignon - Du Preez Rockfield Cab Sauv 2015
8. Best Value Shiraz - Aan De Doorns Shiraz 2015
9. Best Value Pinotage - Van Zijl Coffee Pinotage 2015
10. Best Value Merlot - Imbuko Merlot 2014
11. Best Value Red Blend - Shortwood Entry Red Wine NV
12. Best Value Niche Red - Balance Winemakers Selection Pinot Noir 2015
13. Best Value Bubbly - Meander Moscato Pink NV
14. Best Value Dessert Wine - Montagu Winery Red Muscadel 2016
15. Best Value Rosé - Mount Vernon Unbelievable Sweet Rose
The full results and a competition overview are available in the Getaway Best Value Wines Guide, bagged with the February issue of Getaway, which is on sale from 23 January 2017. Results are also available at www.bestvaluewineguide.com.
Photo caption (from left to right)
Ken Forrester - Ken Forrester
Shawn Mathyse - Ken Forrester
Xania van Der Merwe – Wellington
Ilze Marais - Slanghoek
Jean Slabber – Montagu Winery
Brendan Butler – Mt Vernon
Jean Du Preez – Du Preez Wines
Jan Low - Imbuko
Theunis Van Zyl – Imbuko
Hermias Vollgraaff – Montagu
Sonya Schoeman – Getaway Editor
Neil Piper – Getaway Publisher